For multiple reasons like security, reliability, robustness, and cost efficiency, the open source license, MySQL is considered as the best option for small and medium sized organizations.
MySQL is the 2nd most popular relational database management system preceded by Oracle and followed by MS SQL database management systems in 2015, according to DB-engine rankings. It is an open source database system; therefore, it is more suitable for the small and medium business SMBs, which normally have very limited budgets to expend carefully. The extravagant expenses can not only deplete the available resources, but also can hurt their survival in the marketplace. MySQL database is a rational database management system that is considered as the most secure and reliable for all sized businesses globally.
It owns many great features that make it one of the best database management systems in the world. It is an integral part of LAMP stack, where ‘M’ stands for MySQL database. It is easy-scalable, secure, and flexible in both installation and operations. A large number of the companies, especially small and medium sized organizations use this database management system for their applications and services.
If properly tuned and optimized for the best performance, it provides the most desirable results otherwise, it is very complex to create bottlenecks for the entire application or service. So, to make it high performing database management system, the following tips should be considered strictly.
1. Hardware Optimization
MySQL database server performance is directly proportional to the optimized hardware resources, provided that the other parameters are working as per required standards. So, you should make sure that you have sufficient hardware resources and optimized hardware configuration to allow MySQL database system to provide high performance. The hardware optimization can be done both before and after installation. You should follow the below given key points for hardware optimization.
- Always install sufficient hardware resources – Disk, Memory, CPU and Network Bandwidth – to cater all resource needs for a database query as well as a process. A shortage in any of these resources will cause problems in the performance very badly.
- Use sufficient RAM to load entire database engine for an efficient performance. This will reduce swapping process that can decrease the performance.
- Use high quality hardware and advanced features such as, SATA/SSD drives, battery backed RAM & Cache Controller, RAID 10+, Solid State Cards, XFS file system, high speed fibers, and others
- Always use small disks and multiple partitions both logically and physically to create high performance and speed of your database and application.
- Scale-up the resources immediately, if any bottle-necking is observed.
2. MySQL Configuration Optimization
The configuration is a very critical part of MySQL database server that plays very vital role in the performance of a server. The experts suggest that you should neither emphasize overly nor slightly on the MySQL configuration to achieve optimized performance. You should properly assess your requirements and objectives carefully to make changes in the configuration. Sometimes, the default configurations are okay for small sized businesses, but that does not work for everybody, always. Therefore, be specific about your requirements before optimizing MySQL configurations. In general, some of the basic configuration optimization activities that are useful for SMBs are given below.
- Configure enough buffer pool size to load whole database engine
- Configure small size of log files
- Define a suitable number of connections as per your available resources; the extra number of connection can deplete your resources and server performance.
- Increase the maximum and temporary table sizes to avoid extra disk writes
- Configure moderate value for the buffer size
- Configure server to remove DNS lookup procedure to increase processing speed
- Insert index on data and remove excessive rows on searches and returns in queries
- Always keep optimizing your database tables through close monitoring
- Use VACHAR or ENUM to save the disk space.
- Use EXPLAIN keyword for queries to have a deeper insight on the query processing.
- It is good practice to partition the tables in smaller units of database information based on zip codes through the RANGE command. It will give high efficiency and processing speed.
3. Correct Selection of Database Storage Engines
The database storage engines handle the database operations of tables. There are many different kinds of storage engines supported by MySQL database system. The most common of those storage engines are InnoDB and MyISAM. InnoDB is a default storage engine due to its certain powerful features. You can choose the suitable one in accordance with your requirements and performance objectives. For heavier applications, it is better to choose MyISAM because it is fast in different processes; on the other hand, InnoDB is very easy to scale, but a bit slower than MyISAM. I would recommend using InnoDB for small business applications owing to its flexibility and its support to row-based locking. Many advanced features are also supported in this storage engine. Use can also choose other options for storage engine, if they fulfill your business needs.
4. Benefit from Opinions of Experts in Industry
The first version of MySQL was released back in 1995; during that past 20 years’ time, the number of MySQL experts has grown tremendously. Similarly, a large number of online forums, group discussions, technical blogs and other resources have developed during past twenty years. These forums are very powerful source to get help and guidance from the industry experts in the domain of MySQL database system. You can ask about your issues related to MySQL database from those experts, and get substantial help from numerous platforms such as, conferences, seminars, Q&A sessions, and others. So, never feel alone in this open source domain of database platform. You can get help from a large number of experts globally. You can get solution for all types of issues or queries related to MySQL database management system on those forums and from the industry experts.
5. Leverage an Enterprise Level MySQL Monitoring Service
Like every product, service or machine, you should also monitor your MySQL database management system very carefully to avert any kind of issues that can lead to performance degradation or a complete failure of service. To improve the performance of your database, you need to watch your database through an enterprise level automated cloud based monitoring service.
SiteObservers is one of such enterprise level MySQL monitoring services that offer all powerful features, functions and capabilities that your MySQL database needs. It tracks all important parameters that improve the performance of your database. SiteObservers MySQL monitoring service tracks not only performance parameters, but also help find out the root causes of the problems that occur on your database system. It provides in-depth perspective on the performance of the database through detail oriented reports and powerful drill-down functions.
In the nutshell, SiteObservers acts like an eagle eye on every event in your MySQL database management system. To know more about SiteObservers enterprise level free cloud based MySQL service, click here.